Monday, November 29, 2010

Down to business on scale fingerings

After some meditative thought on the Bayan free bass system, I realized in an out-of-the-box moment that if I aligned my fingers parallel to the buttons rather than perpendicular to the side of the accordion, fingerings may be easier. I investigated and many images of Bayan player do this. Here's Mr Fredrich Lips (He literally wrote the book on Bayan playing). Note his fingers are at an angle similar to the button diagonals. There are images of Bayan players with the fingers pointing down, as well. I suppose the angle of the hand is adjusted according to the position of the arm and also the fingering that's required. I wish I could get a copy of Mr. Lips' book, it's out of print in the US. Here's a link to Stanley Fefferman's photograph in it's original context.













I had much 'real' work to do today so I am just sitting down now with the instrument. I did make a fingering chart, which could be useful to other chromatic players. It's below- click on the image for a full size version..
More on the fingerings when I figure them out.
Chromatic 3-row fingering chart. Click to enlarge.

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking everywhere for a fingering chart guide for my three row Bayan accordion and have found nothing. If you have any suggestions for me I would be thrilled! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete