Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Some musical progress and getting to know the Bayan's good points

I am having a lot of fun with the bayan.  I'm doing much better at scales. I can do them with modest fluidity with both hands. I can sight read things without too many sharps and flats on my right hand.  I am working through the Palmer-Hughes basic accordion books. I am just over half way through book 2. I use the standard bass for those. Playing simple arrangements for standbys like "Coming 'round the mountain" and "The Merry Widow Waltz" is surprisingly more rewarding than I expected. I have noticed that when I keep a light touch on the base, the accordion sounds happy and light. If I dwell on the bass and chords, the music gets heavy very quickly, perhaps because of the amount of sound generated. If I get one down well, maybe I will summon the courage to put a video up for prosperity. It's on the edge of awful right now thanks to my poor- but developing skills.

On the Bach, the one that I presented the fingerings for, below, I can play slowly with the free bass. The bass is great for the deep notes, but it is easy to see that the action is a little sluggish and the voicing is uneven. I am completely spoiled by my current English concertina, which is like lightning (Morse Albion Baritone, soon to be traded in for a Geordie Morse Baritone).

No comments:

Post a Comment